Friday 13 September 2013

The Last of Us - PS3 - review & thoughts


Finally getting around to finishing this post.. a bit late, but better late than never.

Potential spoiler alerts may follow for those who have yet to complete this game (shame on you for not finishing it yet!).


I think it is safe to say that this is the best game of the entire PS3 library.  Epic story telling, polished mechanics and incredible graphics make this game a must buy/play if  you own a PS3.  Even if you aren't so into the adventure game genre, this game will suck you in with its story, and you will be hooked.  It was very hard for me to stop, and in the end, it took me only two game sessions to complete the story.  I didn't fully explore each area for the collectibles because I just wanted to know what happens next.

The only thing I didn't like was that the game came to an end.  That is not to say that the story was too short, it felt just right, but I would have loved to have some extended time in some of in-between areas that the game did not really touch on.  This also could be because I went through the game relatively quick.  It took me about ten hours to complete, and I could have explored more to extend my stay in the world that Naughty Dog has created.

The story was very well written, and it leaves it open for sequels.  There's still a lot of unanswered questions which I hope gets explored later on.  This is one of those virtual worlds that I really want to know all about.

The opening chapter sucks you into the world with little to no backstory about the "outbreak", and you get attached to the characters immediately with the much talked about moment before the story breaks for 20 years.  At first it seems strange to suddenly fast forward that much, without any cut scene or anything filling in the time gap.  Instead, you have to make some assumptions, and for those who are curious, will have lots to speculate about.  What happened in those 20 years?  How was the transition to the current society handled by the characters?  I hope all of this gets revealed through DLC.

Throughout the entire game, the dialogue between the characters really do a good job at developing the relationship between the characters.  I really like how the relationship between Joel and Ellie evolve as the game goes on.  It is very real and believable, unlike how some movies are scripted.

The ending was very interesting, and it was interesting that the developers didn't allow you to have optional endings.  Some people may have liked to have the choice in the end, but I am fine with how it went, and its an ending that I am happy with.

I can't wait for the sequel to come out, either to continue with the story, or some fill in to help give the players more of a backstory to this world.

10/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment